Saturday, March 10, 2012

Design Personae

Well hello there, my name is Sebastien Voerman. However, most of my friends like to call me “Bas”.  I’ve just recently moved to Wellington from Nelson, and I love it here. 

I’ve travelled all over the world with my family due to my father’s job, and I’ve had the opportunity to experience a mass of cultures and countries. I think this lends me a broader perspective on the world. I’ve been exposed to the many different styles and uses of design in all these places, and I’d like to say it has impacted my inherent design abilities. However, I think it’s more given me the ability to develop my work from a more diverse range of memories and experiences. That’s probably the best part about having travelled. Memories last a lifetime. Memories give strength. Memories grant inspiration.

But, seeing a lot of what the world has to offer hasn’t diminished my desire to compete in the world of Design. I think that the reason I always loved design was due to my fixation on why things were constructed the way they were, as well as creating things. (Lego was a key inspiration.) I had a certain knack for taking things apart, much to the displeasure of my parents, as well as a fascination for the natural and man-made world.

My current aspirations (they have a tendency for fickleness) are towards Industrial and Media Design, as well as photography, which is a hobby of mine. Some of my graphic design work for Year 13 stemmed from a modernist style, lending itself towards the Bauhaus, as well as a more abstract style that was inspired by Wassily Kandinsky’s work, as well as other Russian Constructivism, a style I think I want to explore in more detail.
I can’t wait to start creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment