Monday, March 26, 2012

DSDN 144 Project 1: Final Images

"Suicide"

For “Suicide”, I was seeking to follow the journey of an unknown individual to their death. Along their way, they will have encountered certain spaces, which I want to capture. I want to capture the essence and special-but-plain-ness of these spaces. I want to create a narrative of this unknown essentially walking their last journey.

I believe I captured this narrative successfully, capturing both the frightening nature of the night as well as the freedom it provides. Some of the spaces I have captured are rather public, while some of the others are much more personal and have a special element to them. I relied heavily on the use of subdued colours, light, and contrast to convey this narrative. I really wanted to help myself understand these particular spaces. “why this space?”
 
I used a lot of very confronting composition to juxtapose the almost softness of the night with the real reason why this person was there. I drew a lot of inspiration from Neil Pardington and Mark Power, and their almost colourless spaces in their photos.
 
Ultimately the narrative is meant to culminate in freedom, and signify this unknown person’s liberation from their body, and I believe over the course of the images that this is achieved.
 Image 1, copyright Sebastien Voerman

 Image 2, copyright Sebastien Voerman

Image 3, copyright Sebastien Voerman

 Image 4, copyright Sebastien Voerman

 Image 5, copyright Sebastien Voerman

 Image 6, copyright Sebastien Voerman

 Image 7, copyright Sebastien Voerman

 Image 8, copyright Sebastien Voerman

 Image 9, copyright Sebastien Voerman

5 comments:

  1. why are you'r projects so awsesome sounding?! :D
    great work bas. Looks like the things I see on my emo night walks.... should I be worried? >.<

    ReplyDelete
  2. MELON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!9:16 AM, March 27, 2012

    Woooow!!! I love the last one!! Incredible stuff :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments, you two!! I hope you don't see too much of this area at night, lee, it's dodgy as hell!!
    And thank you melon! The last one is meant to embody the final freedom of the unknown person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. very bauhaus, and dark ...i like the strong lines

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! Looking at it again, I feel the appeal is definitely in the strong lines and very undemocratic composition of the images. Undemocratic as in your eyes are told where to look. :)

    ReplyDelete