Tuesday, March 13, 2012

DSDN 144 Project 1: Proposal

In my first project for photography, SPACE, I want to investigate a journey. Not just an ordinary journey to work or to school, but the last journey an unknown person ever made.

The person in question is not someone I knew. They are, in essence, someone I heard about, who committed suicide. They jumped off the side of a car park in Courtney Place. I want to investigate the spaces they would have encountered on their final journey to where they ultimately jumped and ended their life. In my mind, it presents a very dark journey, but ultimately one that would have been very significant and special to the person concerned. 

The mood I want to convey in the series of images is mostly the mood the spaces along the way conveyed to the person on their journey. I want to examine why the spaces are scary, why they are dark, but also why they are special. Why is there a serenity to be found in the persons last moments before they jumped?

I want to examine the most interesting spaces that were on this dark and ultimately lonely path. I want to find the special places in this area, and I want to capture why they are special.

I don't want to convey the sense of "Don't jump!", and I don't want to understand the person’s motivations, I just want to follow a path and see why its spaces are special and dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment