Sunday, May 6, 2012

DSDN 101 Project 2: Font Exploration

I decided to explore the effect different fonts would have on my final choice of word. 

This font, while dynamic, is a little too comical. While I am going for comedy in my video, I want the font to be less expressive for itself. I want the motions of the letters to do more the the story telling. This font also feels a bit too bold. It feels like it's going to melt or roll around. A bit weird.

This font is a little more formal, however, since it reminds me of an alarm clock, I also associate it with the future. My storyline isn't really set in the future, but more of a non-distinct temporal setting. I don't want there to be any sort of time reference.


This font feels very royal, and also again explores a much more referencing style. It feels old, it looks Gothic, and might be more suited for when the king grows his "royalty serifs". The i in this might be well suited for that role...

This font, while the shape of it is rather formal and non-referencing, the texture is interesting. However, I believe that when the font is moving, it might be better to have a completely black font, so as to make the movements much more clear and less harsh on the eyes. 

...Which then leads me on to Helvetica. Which is of course a beautiful font and has the ability to be completely timeless. No cultural or temporal references at all, which is fantastic. Just what I want. The letters feel strong, however they lack a little in silliness. The font is of course beautifully readable, and I think, with a little assistance from motions and sounds, I can convey my story through this font.

1 comment:

  1. simple is best ...clean....and still makes the statement of authority . Good choice MV

    ReplyDelete