Monday, May 21, 2012

DSDN 101 Project 3: Storyboard Research

For The Clip, I have to create a storyboard which shows my idea and my overall video progression. It needs to be artistic and stylised, so I've had a look at some examples of storyboarding and comic book styles. I'm toying with the idea of possibly presenting the storyboard as a photographic comic book rather than drawing. We shall see. 



This comic strip has elements of the way I want to present my storyboard. Not entirely linear, but still with a general sense of direction. The comic is dramatic, and the simplicity of the black and white works in its favour. It gives the whole comic a grungy, visceral feel. It seems any sort of colour would immediately be a huge focal point in this comic strip. The website source for this image shows that the author actually states that this comic is spliced together from multiple pieces and frames from a storyboard itself, which makes it even more relevant to my work and research.



This comic inspires me by the way the fight of the bottom frame extends up into the the one above. It immediately makes the whole sequence more dynamic. It also then aids in showing us the direction of the action. The chaos of the moment is conveyed via the overall feel of the storyboard.


This image is an extract from the film Sin City, and shows a different series of storyboarding, where photos are used in stead of drawing. I think it adds a totally different feel to the whole storyboard, maybe a much more exact variant of storyboarding. The emotion that plays across the face of the woman is much more exact and visceral than that present in the drawing, and I think we associate more with real people more. This also shows a potential aesthetic I want to go for. This Film Noire aesthetic could really give my clip's storyboard the edge it needs. 

Image acquired from:  http://i.ytimg.com/vi/EM62VXD0aTo/0.jpg 

One of the things I really want to achieve with my stop motion clip is to give a sense of over-the-top-ness, with both expressions and actions speaking of the amazement at the technology. For the storyboard, I want to convey this through a possible usage of colour, value and line, in a grungy, comic book style. This image kind of captures the sense of speed and motion that could only really be captured in a video, an aesthetic I really want to mimic.



 Image acquired from: http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/images/2010/06/scott-pilgrim-tv-spot.jpg


The aesthetic I also want to consider capturing is using words and sketchy-style additions in the photographic storyboard to aid the comic book feel. This ideally will help convey the actions that I want to portray.

So at present, I'm looking to create a storyboard that is composed of photos as opposed to drawings. The elements of these photos will overlap other "frames" of the not-entirely-linear story progression. The photos will include elements of comic books such as dramatic line and tonal areas in the photos for effect. This will be punctuated with dialog as well, to convey the story.
The story seems to be more effectively portrayed with the use of black and white/grayscale,  with colours accenting certain points of interest or focus in the storyboard itself. The final stop-motion film clip will potentially be mimicking this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment