Monday, May 28, 2012

DSDN 144 Project 3: Final Image Choices

So, I've finally made it. I've captured my five final images for my final project. I couldn't be happier. Or more tired, frankly. Duct taping the walls to mark electrical cabling, getting weird looks from my floormates about the lack of light in the hall at odd hours, and having to fend off questions about my project. But it was all worth it.

What I've created, I feel is rather spectacular in an odd way. Light is energy in one form. Here I am highlighting energy in one form with another form of energy. I think that's pretty cool. The images I've created show an intense matrix, a network of energy that perforates the building, supplying all the lights, all the rooms, and all the sockets. It's one hell of a network, and I really have to commend the electricians who did it decades ago. In a way, this network of energy is like the veins and arteries of the building. It is alive! In a weird, non-living way.
Making the unseen seen in this case really helps you understand what little of the world we see, both in an energy sense as well as a physical sense, as in not being able to see the cables or the energy that runs through them.

Light painting straight lines on the ceiling is really hard. I can attest to that. Doing the second image in the dark took me at least 10 tries, just during the FINAL shoot! And really, I would say it's still not that amazingly straight. Having to stand on your tip-toes and draw a straight line while holding the torch at an optimal angle for the camera is really tricky. I don't recommend it if you're under time constraints.

Overall, however, I'm really pleased with the results, I achieved what I set out to do, after changing what I wanted to do once, and I'd call that a success.
I really wanted to capture this as a documentary style series of images (or image pairs, in this case), and I've done it. I wasn't sure to add the location in on the images, but in the end I decided it went with the documentary style I was going for.

One of the things I really wanted to achieve is a really bland setting that would let the light painting really show through as the dominant aesthetic, which the building I live in lent itself perfectly to. The lack of adornment on the walls was really a lacking in my favour.

Given more time I'd want to study the electrical plans some more and do one or two more spots. But marking up the electrical cabling accurately is really time consuming, and given the time constraints imposed by my other courses as well, maybe that one is better left for another time.

So, without further ado, ladies and gentlemen, I give you "The Unseen"...






No comments:

Post a Comment