Monday, June 11, 2012

DSDN 101 Project 3: Decisions, Decisions...

I've started on the final run for my project, and the end is finally in sight. It's going to be a long week/weekend. But I'll get there. I'm going to try and take it step by step, so I can show as much process as possible. Today, I started work on the actual baseline Heads Up Display that I'm then going to apply to all the frames that incorporate the tech itself. I've created two variants, both with their own merits and shortcomings.


The photos I've used are photos that will be used in the final stop motion, which I took yesterday. I've applied the HUD over the top to make it easier to see what each one will actually look like.


The things I want to display in the HUD at all times is going to be of paramount importance. If it's too much, there will be an information overload of sorts, but then if there isn't enough, why both having it at all!

The things I've decided to put on it are:
-Battery

-Signal
-Time
-Messages (A function I don't plan on using.)
-Internet (A function used for displaying information on objects.)
-Power button
-Other functions: (Weather forecaster, heat sensor, finger point tracker.)
-Camera (Works with the weather forecaster, but otherwise not a function I really plan on using.)



HUD Mark I

This variant feels much cleaner and more minimal than the Mark II variant. The simple one-colour blue allows for easy distinguishing between the background and the HUD, and the shapes are much easier to read. The only shortcoming would be that the HUD doesn't stand out quite as much as the Mark II variant.

 HUD Mark II


The Mark II variant does slightly better when it comes down to visibility against darker backgrounds, however as soon as it is shown against lighter backgrounds (such as the sky in this shot), it suffers from major readability issues. The legibility is really the only shortcoming, but it is a major one. The Mark II's shortcomings are too great. I'm going to stick with the Mark I's simplicity.

No comments:

Post a Comment