Tuesday, July 24, 2012

DSDN 104: Final Word Choices And Sketches

So I finally got down and started doing some work for 104. I looked at some words and how I might portray them through sketches. The words I looked at were varied in the sense that I wasn't completely sure where they were going to take me, and some of them acted along similar sorts of lines.


One of the words I looked at was protect, where I followed up my design for love with the idea of parental protection and love. The idea of something encasing something else, seeking to protect it from anything bad that might happen to it. It was visceral. The attacks on this object should feel real. The protector should feel the heat of the attacks, and still knowingly protect the small object.


The idea of protect then led on to the concept of armour, which is a concept of self-protection as opposed to being protected. This created the idea of in essence throwing up a sort of shield against the attacks. Here the small ball protects itself, and it just feels far more independent and self-serving than in protect.



I then decided to deviate from the original sequence and try something new. I went with the word sinuous, as suggested to me by my beautiful girlfriend! Sinuous for me means snake-like, connective, flowing, curvy, supple. I tried to express this as much as possible through this sketch. The curves are the main part of this sketch, however the connective lines are also part of it, since I think of sinews as holding things together.



From sinuous, I then tried to expand on with the word fluid. I wanted to work with things that could look very liquid and just flow around the place. I love curves in design, so working with them in this project would be a lot of fun. Trying to convey fluidity and sinuous-ness in one design shouldn't be too hard since the two kind of go hand in hand. Sinuous also to me feels like a more solid version of fluidity, so that works for me.



Finally I explored a final word to go with sinuous & fluid. I thought of what sort of model series I wanted to make, but I really want to try and convey motion. Hence why I tried this sketch. I really like the idea of conveying direction and motion through my designs.

So! That leaves me with 3 final words and my descriptions of said words.

Sinuous: (adj.) -Having many curves and turns, flowing, connective, lithe, supple.

Fluid: (adj.) -Liquid, able to flow easily, runny, easily manipulated, curvy.

Motion: (nou.) - The action or process of moving or being moved, direction, vectors, speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment