Thursday, July 26, 2012

DSDN 104: First Few Iterations

I've finally started the actual modelling process in Solidworks and 3dsMax. Working with some 3-D sketching in Solidworks and then transitioning the parts into an assembly before exporting it to 3dsMax was tricky, but I got there in the end. I made every effort to make my starting shapes relatively simple, so that I could put in the extra effort in Max to make them pretty.
Sinuous (adj.)   Fluid (adj.)   Motion (Nou.)

Model 0 (Solidworks Transfer)
This one was my starting point. This is the assembly I transferred across from Solidworks into Max. For some reason Max applies a little selection of colours to the different parts. Not sure why. But managed to figure out how to correct it.

Model 1
While the previous one was my starting point, I then added an extra part into Max and reassembled each part around this new part, essentially creating a new starting point that was far superior. I really wanted to convey a motion through space. Not necessarily conveying a direction but definitely flowing. I wanted the motion to completely avoid any possible corners, so it is built out of pure extruded splines. The element of connectivity is also implied by the intertwined nature of the curves.

Model 2
This is the first iteration of the starting point. I sought to twist the shape and give it more curvature in that respect, and a greater sense of movement. The  render didn't show things overly well, because it's just a baseline render with no added variables or dynamic lighting. It would probably come out better with that.


Model 3
This iteration is really where I started to get really into it and create the cool stuff. I exploded all the polygons ever so slightly away from each other, so that the form becomes slightly transparent. This feels like it gives it a sense of motion blur to me. The curves feel far more sinuous and intertwined.


Model 4
Here I experimented with giving the shape a little more shape and direction. It almost seems a little ironic that edgy polygons form a flowing curve, but I managed to successfully achieve that flow. The fluidity feels really nice. I'm definitely going to try and carry on from this form a lot.


Model 5
This shape is a step in a slightly different direction in terms of the make up of the shape, since it has once more been a little solidified. I experimented with a small-radius lattice modification on the form. It grounds the form a little, and brings it back into reality and away from the light-as-air feeling of the previous forms. I'll experiment more along this line as well, for sure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment