Sunday, August 19, 2012

DSDN 104: Laser Cut Inspirations

So for our second project in Digital Creation, we have to take our final model from the first project and translate it into a physical 3D form. However, there's a catch. It has to be completely made from 2-D segments cut on the laser cutter, and we only get one A4 of 2mm clear acrylic and one A4 of 1mm card.
We get one shot at the laser cutting, and we have to then make our model with what we are given. No do-overs.

So I'm still not 100% on how I'm going to translate my model into an actual physical form, but I'm sure I'll come up with an idea.

I decided to have a look at some artist models for laser cutting, so as to get a feel for how you construct this kind of model. One of the common techniques appears to be layering up the individual shapes, allowing for a stacking effect that generates form.


Here we can see that effect used to generate both negative and positive space. This design is actually laser cut out of paper! I think it looks really damn cool. I really want to find a way of incorporating both negative AND positive space.

Image retrieved from: http://inhabitat.com/laser-cut/

This chair is awesome. I want one. Badly. It looks like a rock formation that has been eroded by time, and yet it's been made of plywood. Which is rather astonishing in itself. The fact that a material as lacklustre as plywood can be formed into something as beautiful as this through craft and technology is rather impressive.


This piece of jewellery is so cool! I'd really like to make one myself actually, for a special someone! Maybe next year when I have access to the laser cutter I'll do that. I love the way this one is stacked, and oriented by the middle, but the outer edges show a spiral increment! It's fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment