Monday, August 6, 2012

DSDN 104: Models 41 - 50

So now I'm into models 41 - 50! I had a lot of fun with these, and found a new colour thast I really liked. The red really makes it stand out against the background, and I also made the white surface reflective, which interestingly, makes the shadows show up less strongly, which I really like. I puts more emphasis on the models as opposed to the previously dark shadows on the plane.

Model 41
This one looks a little like a dragon to me. The right side of the render looks like it's head, but the rest of it really doesn't look much like a dragon at all. I wanted to have the thicker curve here sweeping through the finer ones, while the cross-lattice of one the curves needed to take a bit more prominence.

Model 42
Here I had a bit of fun with the dragon head, and made it look even more like a dragon. I also wanted to enhance the lattice and make it much more prominent. This model I shaped into more of a wave shape, which is a very fluid form, and which I find also maintains some sinuous elements. The way the wave holds together due to the surface tension is very fascinating.

Model 43
Here I turned the whole model into a big flowing spiral, however in stead of separating the components, I had them work together as a whole form. It gives the shape more strength in a way.

Model 44
I extended the previous shape a bit more in this iteration, and tried to make the form flow together as one in a swirling over-one-rock-and-back-into-the-stream type of way.

Model 45
I broke the shape apart a little in this iteration. I wanted the pieces to work collectively, but as separate entities. I pulled the form apart and re-aligned the pieces around one of the lesser pieces movements.

Model 46
I really worked with the lattice here, and tried to make it a little bit less "blocky", removing some of the polygons that were too solid and filling up too much space.

Model 47
Upon doing more work with the shapes, I discovered that more and more of the polygons were becoming too large and obtrusive. This needed to change in the next few models. I was starting to stretch my model too thin.

Model 48
I worked out a lot of the "rogue polygons" in this shape. I stretched out parts of the thick curve here to help give the overall form, that was feeling a little too thin, some substance.

Model 49
This shape was a little bit more random, and a little bit less "flowy". It's more sporadic, and less organised. Which makes for an interesting take on the whole fluid motion thing!

Model 50
This model is focused on the lattice, and shows the sinuous element, which I really want to highlight.

On the whole, this sequence of models was very successful! They work together, and each one inspired improvement for the next one! And I really like how the red stands out well. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment