Monday, August 13, 2012

DSDN 104: Models 61 - 70

Finally, I'm reaching the point of completion. It's such a close, achievable goal now! I'm happy. The models are starting to look more and more intentional. The effect that I'm really trying to achieve is coming through well and the words I've chosen still apply fully to what I've created.

Model 61
This feels like a very stylised expression of my words. It isn't exactly natural, but it also isn't totally artificial. The sinuous-ness of the curve is still very much fundamental to its design, and the fluidity of it is still deeply inherent.

Model 62
This is another one of the models where direction is far more apparent. The point of this iteration gives it a vector of sorts. It doesn't feel like a lazy curve drifting in space, but implies motion and feels like it's on a mission.

Model 63
Here I kept the element of direction in the model from the one prior. The model has a translating-lazy-motion-into-something-vicious feel. The motion feels relatively stagnant on the left, but then warps and moves into action towards the right.

Model 64
Here I once again worked with a lazier movement, one that is more friendly in a way. This model feels like a snake, more specifically, a rattlesnake. The sinuous s-curves just give it that feel. While this one is still a little bit random, it still conveys my words well.

Model 65
I decided to then squeeze the curve together a little, giving it inherently more momentum, while giving it an overall increased sense of mass. The little curves feel like they are supporting the primary form rather than obstructing it.

Model 66
I tried to further enhance this forms sense of connection to the main curve by means of amplifying its presence through offsetting the other curves against it. The little curves are just swirling around the big curve so as to provide a contrast of sorts.

Model 67
I tried to shatter this curve apart a little bit and pull at the sinews. I want to incorporate a rather heavy straight line element into my final model, since sinuous (to me) implies a relationship between curves and straight lines that inherently creates structure.

Model 68
For this one, I went a little further with "randomness" and was tired and created a bit of chaos. It still looks good though! The straight lines still give the curve a more rational form, while the chaos is still blooming,

Model 69
I start to try and re-rationalise the chaos I just created with some more structure, and in this next model, I final start to recreate a semi-notion of order. This model is starting to look like something that could be a final model. But I've still got 12 more to go!

Model 70
This one, humorously, reminds me of a snake's head, in the way that the right-hand bottom corner looks a bit like a snakes forked tongue lolling out of its mouth. It made me laugh, so what! Aside from that, the curves are starting to regain order.


I'm still keeping the red as the material for the models, since it's a really nice colour in terms of visibility, which I really like. It's kind of impressive that I've made 70 models consecutively from one set of forms in Solidworks, and that I never deviated from the line of forms, and that they've still maintained a semblance of my words.

No comments:

Post a Comment