Monday, August 6, 2012

DSDN 112: Design Proposal & Storyboard

My interactive design is going to revolve around the sense of touch, and the absence of sight. The absence of our predominant sense can often cause the other senses to become amplified, and this is one of the aspects I want to exploit.
Secondly, I also want to explore touch through a non-traditional way. Stereotypically, we associate touch with our hands, but often other areas of our body can provide a different way of experiencing that sense.

I want to experiment with touch by creating a long board with a variety of textures and materials on it, with a guiding wooden beam above the different materials. The idea is not to touch the materials with your hands, but rather your cheek. This will provide a much more unique experience in terms of touch as you run your cheek along the board and materials.

I want to blindfold the users so that the sense of touch is far more prominent, and this allows me to play with their trust. The plan is for the first materials for them to touch to be rough and unwelcoming, so as to challenge their trust, before I win it back with more pleasant surfaces.

And here is the brief (and definitely to be redesigned for the final!) storyboard that I created for this new project.


No comments:

Post a Comment