Monday, August 13, 2012

DSDN 112: More Surfaces For The Sensory Board

These are the continuation of the last post, exploring more potential materials.


The zig zag of the metal is an interesting sensory experience, because, unlike the "razor", I designed it to be unyielding. The metal is extremely static. However, I find that my cheek still drops in between each rise of the zig zag, just a little bit. Fingers over the surfaces make a very interesting "discovery" when they drop between each section.



The sock material is definitely a nice texture to the cheek. It's sock, and reminiscent of a wash cloth. The softness is very welcoming, however, the sock texture is the only one of it's kind in this bunch. So in that regard it might not be the best. The texture is however interestingly "un-soft" when it comes to touching it with ones fingers as well.



The metal interspliced with the wood here makes for a texture that is both cool and warm at the same time. The metal makes the whole piece feel smooth, and yet the wood is rather rough in comparison. It's a strange middle ground.



The paper is really intriguing, as when I ran it along my cheek, it felt like what I expected sandpaper to feel like on my cheek. The edges of the paper make the whole thing feel really rough, and this is significantly helped by the use of a rough, heavily textured paper.



For this one, I wanted to see what I could achieve with a few chunks of broken wood. For the final I think however that I should reduce the size of the broken chunks significantly. I really want to achieve a variation of the wood grains, so that they play off against one another.



This one incorporates the sock material in with the metal rods, and I'd say isn't adding much to the mix of textures. The cheek only really feels the metal rods, and maybe a tickle of the sock material. The fingers feel more, but it' not particularly innovative. I'm probably going to to shelve this texture.



The foam definitely has interesting sonorous qualities, and almost feels like paper to the cheek. The odd softness of it, coupled with the definite synthetic element to it make it rather intriguing. However, it is a solo material, and I'm definitely considering limiting my materials to just three or four different materials.

And that's all of them so far! No doubt the final list is going to change a far amount.





No comments:

Post a Comment