Monday, August 13, 2012

DSDN 112: Surfaces For The Sensory Board

So I've started to look at surfaces for my sensory board. I need to create surfaces that provide an interesting experience for the cheek, while still ensuring that each one is relatively unique.

I planned these first few in my sketchbook before making them a reality. Entries as follow!


This one is definitely one of the more nasty sensations. The harsh edges of the wire makes for a very sharp, aggressive sensation. Possibly an option to reduce it's danger would be to add more wire pieces, and maybe reduce the height of the wire.



This surface here is totally different to the one prior. I'd almost be inclined to say it is the very opposite of the one prior. Each rod is essentially covered with a soft surface, but the rod structure remains the same. I found however that the cotton wool buds on your cheek in rows like that really don't feel like earbuds at all. They feel very foreign, but really interesting.



This one is an inherently cool sensation for the face, and the cheek numbs the sense to only feel the surface as a single flat surface of cool metal. Whereas, the fingers reveal new aspects of the surface. I'm thinking about exploring the notion of finger sensations versus the cheek sensations in my project.



The metal here is arranged in such a way that it curves and also subtly moves to accommodate the face. This allows for an interesting hard edge of the metal that however still allows for a degree of change. The sharp edges also make the shapes feel a little bit more aggressive and not completely passive.



This metal edge reminds me of a razor setup, however the way I've thought it should be used makes it more passive. The edges are however still sharp, and provide a much more interesting sensation. The metal also makes a really interesting sound, so that's definitely an added bonus.



This one is really great because I've used the actual wood block to make the surface. The diagonals make the texture odd, since it feels like it is pushing you in one direction. One thing I want to consider for my sequence of materials is possibly considering making the surfaces all out of a limited series of materials.



The sandpaper is really intriguing, because it actually feels really smooth on one's cheek, which just really surprises me since it's sandpaper. On one's finger it really feels quite rough. I really want to explore this finger versus cheek sense thing.

More surfaces coming up next! 

No comments:

Post a Comment