Monday, August 20, 2012

DSDN 142: Colour & Form Exploration

So I've been playing around with my code a lot now, and I've decided to settle on using the quadrilaterals as my point of origin for my code to work. 

Rather than work with base squares though, I want to work with some shapes that have a little bit more of an interest factor. So I decided to combine squares and triangles and create a lop-sided rhombus shape.

This here is going to be the baseline for the the rest of the noise to originate from. I also figured out how to do proper colour gradients as well, which is really exciting, since they look really cool.
Applying a deviation into the shapes really allows for a large amount of variation and noise.


As we can see here, I took the same arrangement of the colour gradient, and applied the deviation to the overall code, resulting in a much more noisy variation on the work before. The shapes I have chose allow for a lot of variation when implementing randomisation in a controlled manner.

I then decided to go to the extreme with the deviation, resulting in what I feel is actually really stunning. I love the way the slight transparency I applied to all the shapes results in a distinct colour wash.
Looking at the colours I had chose prior, I decided there were far too many, and that I needed to cull the amount a little bit. I'm thinking a two-tone element is going to work really well. I tried out a pink and a green, but while this set really does provide contrast, it doesn't really please aesthetically.

 Playing around with different colour combinations, I discovered this combination, and decided that it totally works for me. Derived from looking at some pictures of autumn leaves and summer trees online, I discovered that the orange fading into green, and vice versa totally work together.

No comments:

Post a Comment