Friday, September 7, 2012

DSDN 104: Final Sketch Model!

Looking back over my other sketch models, I've definitely decided that the stacking method is going to really work. The folding technique just doesn't give enough volume and feels really really flimsy. The slotting technique worked to a degree, and combined with the stacking technique works quite well, except that I still feel like it was a little bit weak.

The stacking technique allows for something really solid to be created, which also (in my opinion) has the potential to be a really classy model. The solidity of it allows the model to feel really solid.

I asked people in my hostel what they thought felt more valuable, something lighter or something heavier. The general consensus is that things that are heavier feel like they have more value to them that something that is lighter. To achieve this weight I'd have to use the maximum amount of material available to me, and then use heavy joinery.


So, I came up with this design. The triangles form the basis for the shape, which is a two-step process. The first set of triangles would be made of acrylic, while the second set of "triangles" would be the card section.

The actual reason for this sketch model however, was to test the viability of the negative space as an option for the model itself. It represents a significant portion of the model, so creating the laser files without prior knowledge of how feasible the internal space element would be would have been folly. So, rather than create the whole model, which would have taken a while and not be very time-efficient, I decided to just create a small portion of the negative-space-half as a means of testing the concept.


One of the elements that I really want to capture from my original render from project 1 was the idea of the light pouring in through the model. While the light can't come through the model since it's made of foam board, the idea isn't lost. The light almost trickles into the models gaps like water would move between the rocks.

I wanted to capture this idea of fluidity being capture in a moment, frozen in time, as that was one of the ideas that came through (unexpectedly) in my final model. So capturing this motion through the stacking of information in terms of 2-D data feels ideal in this sense. The sinuous fluidity is captured in an instance through something we can see and touch, but then an instant later the moment would be lost. So we can only see it for a moment.


Seeing the space interact with the very edge of the material is also quite intriguing. We almost have to imagine what is actually extending out of the material as well as what is represented on the inside of the material.

Overall I feel this method will work well for part of my model, since it would be made of acrylic, which will also capture the caustics I want to achieve as a reference to my old render. This transition from see-through negative space to opaque positive space plays the juxtaposition well that I want to achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment