Saturday, September 1, 2012

DSDN 104: First Sketch Model (After the Stacked Model)

So, the first thing that I'm very confident I'm going to use in my final model is the stacking technique. So I'm definitely going to investigate that first. It's rather versatile, and while never actually warping the material, creates a sense of curvature.

Part of the way that it does this is that essentially it "pixellates" the topography of the form. The form is broken down into consistent little steps. It generates form the same way a topographical map shows us how the terrain is structured.


So I took a small section of my model, just like in the stacking model that I last did, and tried to refine it a little and amplify the shapes so that they would create a unique geography.


If you look at it, in a sense this almost works the same way Minecraft does, but one dimension up. The curves are still possible in two dimensions, while in contrast, Minecraft has no curves, it is merely made up of cubes and squares. Minecraft generates curves in all directions by essentially using the stacking technique, while the stacking technique only does it in one direction; up.

No comments:

Post a Comment