Tuesday, September 11, 2012

DSDN 104: Model Plans & Awesome Examples!

So I've started to have a look at how the laser cutting files get returned to us, and found that one of the things that happens with the card courtesy of the laser cutter is that the card gets burnt rather badly along the edge. This is because it's...well...getting scorched by a laser that's thousands of degrees  hot.

The burns are a little bit frustrating, because they deface the card a little bit.

Image acquired from: http://www.lostateminor.com/tag/laser-cut-wood-art/

Another thing you can see is that the laser leaves an actual dark edge where it has cut, which I really don't think is conducive to what I want to capture with my model.

To combat this, I'm going to spray paint the card pieces black, which is completely neutral and won't give the model any other colour that I won't want.

Image acquired from: http://funlap.bigcartel.com/product/twins-and-the-knife-thrower-laser-cut-print

Here on this image you can again see the kind of damage that the laser does to the materials. It's just not ideal, and with my model revolving around the concept of fluidity and water, it's just too warm a colour. My model will come across as something a bit colder, because I want it to.

Image acquired from: http://www.etchintime.com/woodgallery.html

I thought this was a really cool little laser cut, and just felt like adding it. It harks back to my time in 171 studying the Gothic Revival as well as a bit of Rococo!

So, what the plan is for my model is to spray paint the card pieces black, and and leave the acrylic clear, meanwhile stacking all the pieces and connecting them via two bolts. This will help reach the ideal for the classy item that I'm trying to achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment