Monday, September 3, 2012

DSDN 104: Sketch Model Number 2!

So, after completing the stacking method, which I'd class as my first kind of sketch model, I decided to move on to some braver things in different territories. The first sketch model I completed for this next project looks at the potential of using the folding technique in card models. I abstracted my model from the first project a little and looked at how the the model could be dissected into 2-D piece that I could then fold. I studied my model in 3-D on the computer before doing some sketches and analysing how I could translate it.


More often that not, I am able to imagine a composition in my head and then have difficulty putting it to paper. In this sketch model that wasn't so much the issue, but turning the drawing into a physical reality was tough. The card was tricky to work with and I almost tore my model in half many many times trying to get it to bend to my will. The fragmented triangles the scoring often took on didn't always help me best fold it, but ah well. The idea of the model being a composite of different pieces is effective.


One of the problems I had with my original model was incorporating an element of volume into the model. The original model in 3DSMax had very little volume, being mostly composed of interlaced and intersperse polygons. So translating it to a form like this felt rather natural.


However, I think I really want to incoporate a degree of volume into my actual model, since I feel like I missed out on that in my digital model. So maybe just using the folding technique without actually really creating any spaces in the model just isn't ideal.


The model is in such poor shape now after me trying to get it exactly how I want it. But oh well, sketch models are meant to be messy.

No comments:

Post a Comment