Monday, October 1, 2012

DSDN 104: Modelling The Hepta-Knot

For this next model I've created, I went down the impossible knot path again, and formed an idea of going another step further. While in the last knot the shape had five sides, here the shape would have seven. The angles were more complex, the design more complex, the shape more intriguing.

Again, I started out by purely sketching out the design. At first glance it looks very similar to the Penta-Knot,  and while that isn't wrong, it is many many times more complex to construct.


Building this guy on Solidworks was an absolute nightmare. The angles I was working with were insanely precise and had to be, otherwise nothing would have matched up. In the end though I did get a result, and it looks good.

This model is another twig on the branch that is my constructed knots. They're tough and time consuming to make, but damn are they fun to look at. I also had a lot of fun with rendering this one. After doing some more work looking at precedent materials, I decided to render these guys in chrome and glass, in the same position.

Interestingly the effect is profoundly different in each render. The first one feels like something off an anime for some unknown reason. I think that's probably due to the start contrasts and lack of colour. The chrome almost feels like it has a life of its own.

Sexy chrome renders are sexy.

The glass render is more more static and yet not at the same time. It's quite odd how different renders manage to achieve a collection of two different things, despite the fact that the model and positioning hasn't changed at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment