Tuesday, September 24, 2013

MDDN 242: Finding Likeness & Extrapolating

So, I think I've got my plan for where to progress with the next project. I want to take it in the direction of connective tissue or data visualisation. I really want to have the skill to be able to make this project actually visualise some form of data, but I think I'm going to have to end up leaving that part out of it all.

Image acquired from: http://www.digicult.it

I really like this form of visualization, as it ends up looking like a mind map on steroids. I think that the most interesting part isn't necessarily the way that the data is visualized, but the patterns and forms and textures that evolve out of the myriad of connections made. This is what I want too expand on. I think that making connections like these ends up looking like constellations, but that I can sculpt this mess into something else as well.

The form that I decided I would make started with an idea from my precedents. I wanted to make extreme natural formations that would challenge people's eyes and create something familiar while displaying it in a foreign way. I think this has a lot of potential to be a very interesting visual stimulus.

As you can see here, the web-like structures layer up and create focal points, where the layering gives us a sense of depth and shading. I think I will try and redo this sketch with the web being a different shade. Perhaps as the web layered up, the form could shift in colour?

No comments:

Post a Comment