Wednesday, September 25, 2013

INDN 212: The Heat Indicator/Board

 So, I have 90 seconds to present, eh? Elevator pitch? I can do that. I hope.

This is a person like me. I burn myself inadvertently on hot pots and pans all the time. It's gotten to the point where I will actually hurt myself and it's no longer funny little incidents. You'd think I'd have learnt by now. But no.

The initial element of my idea is to create a strip for a pot that essentially displays whether or not the pot is currently hot. This visual cue could also be very easy for parents to teach their children to observe. Keeps the cue very high, but the intrusion on form minimal.


 I wanted to expand this into something more, something that would actually work as a standalone product. I devised an idea for a heat-measuring food presentation board. It would serve as a board for a hot pot, as well as a display for the heat of the pot in an appealing, aesthetic way. I also wanted to combine it with multiple other functionalities that would allow the board to do more than the heat strip would.

While the pot-based heat strip would be super simple, this board would tell the user how hot the pot is, which could be used to both optimise serving temperature, as well as a further warning for individuals contemplating touching the pot. The board could be a self-contained unit, turning on when the pot was placed down, as well as turning off once the pot was no longer hot. The board would also be used to hold other condiments/additives for the meal.

To make this project come to life, I'm going to need: people with skills in Arduino programming, people with a good sense of form and aesthetic (Which I know all of you are, otherwise you wouldn't be here!), and people with a great knowledge of materials and construction/production techniques.

No comments:

Post a Comment