Saturday, September 21, 2013

MDDN 242: Hitting That Liftoff Button...

Some of the best inspiration I found follows. I think all of it is stunning, and this'll definitely help me suss my stuff out. So, what I think I've decided is that rather than painting, I want the whole thing to be much more of a case of "generative art", where the whole thing kind of runs itself after the very first input. I want it to have a very careful use of colour, and ultimately make something layered and beautiful. Perhaps the interaction could be quite minimal and let the user have a small element of control.


Image acquired from: http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/

I love this one. The colours and the shapes definitely draw from a space photo, but I think something like this is definitely achievable. The use of colour in these sorts of this is of utmost importance. Any use of a random colour palette is artistic suicide, and it just ends up looking like someone vomited all over the scree and made it do something cool. And the vomit cancels out the coolness, trust me. I'm going to experiment with something like this one and see what sort of results I can get.


Image acquired from: http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/

This one is another stunner. Again, stupendously good colour selection, along with brilliant area-differentiation so that the colours given to the form being made make the whole thing feel much more 3-dimensional, rather than just a flood of light and dark colours, making the whole piece feel flat. No, the way the brush(?) flows around the image in this one is done so well. The whole piece is made of edgy sections, while at the same time it's definitely made of some harsher edges.


Image acquired from: http://x.anf.nu/

This one is dark, but you should definitely check it out in full size. Do it. You won't regret it. The detail of the two main different hues interacting is total eye candy. This one is extremely abstract and just feels like a cloth simulation, but the shift from light to dark at the bottom makes all the difference. I still think it's lovely and wish I could get lines to move like that. 

Sadly, all the pieces above I discovered as static images, so I actually have no idea if they move or not. But, if they did, I think they'd be beautiful. I definitely want mine to move and generate progressively as time moves on.

Image acquired from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65805468@N08/7528369082/

This one isn't generative, it's just a photo, but I think it could serve as good inspiration for making something. I love the idea of using Nature as inspiration for something so unnatural. That concept just really gels with me nicely. Perhaps what I could do is have a landscape generated through basic shapes, or maybe just lines, or perhaps even just squares. I reckon that is perhaps a good strategy to roll with. I think maybe if I go with that, I could get a lot of interesting results, and then alter it and play around with it once I've got the spaceship lifting off.

No comments:

Post a Comment