Tuesday, March 25, 2014

INDN 341: Ideation For Fabrication Systems

The new project that we're tasked with has a different sort of dimension to anything prior. Never before have we had to consider designing something that makes other things. This is going to be a project that somehow expresses some form of digital fabrication. It's a bit of a terrifying prospect, and I'm not entirely sure how we're all going to handle it. That said, I have a lot of confidence in my year group, as they are all totally awesome and I love the work that they do.

The way that I interpret the project is in the form of something that will allow you to create something else. For this, I have several things in mind. The brief suggest we look at our hobbies and passions, and then extrapolate those into something that will allow a user to engage with it in a way that results in something tangible.

I like making beautiful things. I really enjoy the way that something looks when it's completed, but I actually really enjoy the way that things look when they are part way through their process. That raw, unrefined look has something very magical to it. The way that things feel, the way things still have all their rough edges, the way that a painting looks when you can't always quite tell how it's going to look when it turns out, or the way that mistakes waiting to be corrected can still be seen.

I want to incorporate this into a form that allows these mistakes to be a feature. I want to make the form allow for mistakes to be made and these mistakes celebrated as part of the beauty of the resultant creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment