Monday, March 10, 2014

INDN 341: PVA Concept Ideas

I must admit, this is the current class that has me the most stumped. I'm very lost as for how to implement PVA in an interesting way. We were told to get some experiments going over this weekend, and I can't say I got very far with those. I have got a few ideas, but I'm a bit worried they aren't going to come together in time. I'll be better after I talk to my tutor today hopefully. But at this point in time, I'm a bit lost.

Idea #1
The idea that I came up with first revolved around the idea of water soluble bags. This concept came from the opportunity I perceived in the realm of deep sea release of chemicals/animals/bio-agents/dyes. It's a lo-fi, non-toxic way of releasing a variety of things at the bottom of lakes or the ocean. The possibilities with it are pretty varied, some of which are in the image below.

Having a low-cost way of doing this could be really important for research or species release. The soluble bag could potentially also be designed to different levels of thickness, allowing precise control over how long the bag would take to dissolve and release the contents.

Idea #2
This idea comes to fruition a little bit later in idea 4, but the concept is similar. Utilise the solid nature of the PVA to contain and constrain wood shavings or kindling as a fire starter. Essentially it works like a candle but in reverse. The shavings are contained and the PVA slowly burns out, allowing for a compact way to store kindling.

The shape and size could allow for effective storage, as well as complete biodegradability. If not needed, the fire starters could be left anywhere to degrade and disappear.

Idea #3
Fusing the PVA to cloth could allow for molded clothing for anything from costumes to decorations to bags to anything really. The PVA fuses rather nicely to the cloth and when dried, the cloth has a stiffened form. If the PVA cloth's drying were controlled, this could allow the cloth to be molded to a number of different shapes.

Exotic shapes could be achieved, allowing for endless control, as well as zero commitment. If the user didn't like the form, you would just have to wash the cloth and the PVA could dissolve and run out.

Idea #4
Bonding the PVA to wood fibres could allow the creation of crazy, custom candle forms as well as not having to worry about dangerous fumes. The shapes of the candles could be endlessly different to one another. These could be molded by hand, combined with wax, and then be left to dry, to be ready for use later.
This series of ideas has less potential than the others, but I find I have to sometimes get less useful ideas out on paper so that they stop cluttering up my mind and let me find the great ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment