Friday, April 4, 2014

INDN 341: Refining The Method Of Creation

After a talk with my lecturer, my ideas have taken an entirely different turn. One of the ideas that got thrown around was the concept of cataloguing people, as opposed to objects. This concept was suggested as a lead into doing a fully fledged installation piece.

This idea then evolved into the concept of cataloguing people's heads and making that the installation. I took this idea and then went another step further. I loved the concept of Candy Chang's "A Confession" installation, and I wanted to build on that idea a little. I want to tackle the concept of anonymity and how it affords us the ability to say the way we feel without any constraints.

Image acquired from: http://candychang.com/confessions/

Using the previous concept of cataloguing people, I want to take my prior idea with how the device catalogues people's heads and combine it with the notion of a confession. The way I see the project happening is that the person has their head catalogued and then proceed to write a confession onto the card that their head was projected onto. The outline of the head, created through the use of a pressurised spray of water, is very vague, eliminating the possibility of the person being recognised.

The entire process is a little jumbled at the moment, but I think getting my ideas out onto the blog should clear it up a little bit in my head. The ideas behind this project are heavily linked to the notion of baptism and rebirth. By admitting your "confession" and being "catalogued" in an exhibited way, I see this as being a way of confessing to your self and the world. The confessions need not be bad, in fact, a lot of them could be really good!

In terms of physical form, I really wanted to juxtapose the idea of execution as well as the baptism, so I had the idea of linking the two through the physical form. That's where the idea of the execution block comes from.

No comments:

Post a Comment